Adult Spiritual Education
2013 Programs at the
Congregational Church of San Mateo
Join with us over the coming months to enjoy the full experience of Christian community as a bountiful offering of programs here at CCSM provides opportunities to be educated, inspired and connected.
Adult Education featuring MSJ Recipients
Sundays, 9:30 am in the Fireplace Room
In the month of May, MSJ will be presenting speakers from some of the various organizations that CCSM supports through the plate offering.
- May 5: Peninsula interfaith Action with Jennifer Martinez
- May 12: InnVision/Shelter Network with Lynelle Bilsey
- May 26: Samaritan House
- June 2: CALL Primrose with Mary Watt
CCSM We C.A.N.
We Commit to Active Nonviolence
This group is making headway to engage the greater community through partnerships, and looking at national programs related to gun violence and active nonviolence. All CCSM community members and affiliates are welcome, ages high school and older. See the folks at the table in Kloss Hall to learn more or through our website.
BOB and SIS
We have a very active men’s group called Band Of Brothers (BOB) and now, an up and coming Women’s group called Sisters in Spirit (SIS). The men and women of CCSM are coming together in small groups to study books, explore spirituality, and form both space and trust, in order to have discussion about a life of faith that matters.
- SIS meetings are held alternating Sundays. Contact Karen Holderbein <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- BOB welcomes new members – men who believe that life is enriched through relationships based on mutual respect and a shared journey. If you have questions, want further information about the Band of Brothers, or just want to share your thoughts, please contact any one of us: Peter Held, 650-888-8398 <email@example.com>; Mike Mullery, 650-348-5512 <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Mark Meyers, 510-760-1605 <email@example.com>
Wise and Wonderful Seniors!
Wise and Wonderful Seniors meets every 2nd Wednesday of the month from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Look in the Pine Tree for special programs and opportunities to get together for fellowship. Below are a few upcoming events:
Circles of Trust
- 5/8 Wise & Wonderful Seniors gathering featuring John Fox, a certified poetry therapist, who will give a talk on “Sharing Your Story & The Healing Power of Poetry.”
- 5/23 Senior Outing with Jerri at Hiller Aviation Museum RSVP
- 6/12 Wise & Wonderful Seniors gathering featuring Betsy Woodward, who will share her adventures since retirement.
- 6/27 Senior Outing with Jerri at Sunset’s Garden RSVP
A Circle of Trust is a group that gathers at regularly scheduled meetings (monthly or quarterly). These meetings are an opportunity to reflect, write, listen, learn and share your inner truths. In a Circle of Trust, we move beyond shallow listening to deep listening with open and honest questions. It becomes a safe sanctuary to share, listen and trust with this intentional inner group.
Circle #3 will meet once a quarter: July 21, and October 20
in the Fireplace Room from 10 a.m. -12 noon. This group is for those with a busy schedule who still want to make time for soul work.
Prayer Shawl Ministry
Knitting with a purpose! Do you knit or crochet? We have a group for you. The second Tuesday of each month
from 7:30-8:30 pm I invite you to my home to knit and crochet with a purpose. As we gather each month, we will pray together for the work that we are doing. As we create prayer shawls we will pray for that shawl and for the person who will receive the shawl. It is exciting to create a shawl that will be a tangible sign of love for someone. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strength Through Peace Discussions
Intern Peter King led attendees on a four-week, Biblically-based study of the ethics of nonviolence Sundays in April 2013.
Our Rabbi-in-Residence, Jhos Singer
JEWS AND CHRISTIANS:
WHO ARE WE AND HOW DO WE SHOW IT?
Topics include: Visible signs, Mitzvah and Good works, & Words and meaning.
Leaders Make the Future Workshop with Bob Johansen
We are fortunate to have the author of the book Leaders Make the Future, Bob Johansen, lead us through an interactive workshop. Using a forecast map of external future forces, Bob has developed a new self-assessment on the ten future leadership skills that will be needed for the future.