Adult Spiritual Education
Programs at the
Congregational Church of San Mateo
Join with us over the coming months to enjoy the full experience of Christian community as a bountiful offering of programs here at CCSM provides opportunities to be educated, inspired and connected.
JUSTICE, MORAL DILEMMAS, AND DOING THE RIGHT THING
A 6-Part Series by Penny based on Michael Sandel’s book Justice
Sundays: September 7 & 21; October 5 & 19; November 2 & 16
11:50 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., Buckham Room
Using Michael Sandel’s book Justice and gleaning wisdom from his lectures at Harvard, Penny will lead this class by opening with a 7-10 minute mini-lecture, will pose moral dilemmas and complicated scenarios for small group discussion, and will wrap up the hour with group discussion and a 3-5 minute response that synthesizes her understanding of each subject area from our faith tradition. In keeping with Sandel’s approach, the goal of the class is to subject our views (personal and church) to critical examination—to figure out what we think and why.
In our course we will be adding, “What does our faith tradition (prophets and the teachings of Jesus) say about justice?” Guaranteed to be a thought-provoking and deepening course.
1. How do we make our “justice-decisions?”
2. Cost-benefit analysis and bottom lines.
3. What matters is the motive.
4. Who deserves what?
5. What do we owe one another?
6. Justice and the common good.
NOTE: Michael Sandel’s course on justice is one of the most popular courses in Harvard’s history. Nearly one thousand students pack Harvard’s historic Sanders Theatre to hear Michael Sandel talk about justice, equality, democracy, and citizenship. The free lecture series is available for download on iTunes University.
BOB and SIS
We have a very active men’s group called Band Of Brothers (BOB) and a women’s group called Sisters in Spirit (SIS). The men and women of CCSM are coming together in small groups to study books, explore spirituality, and form both space and trust, in order to have discussion about a life of faith that matters.
- SIS meetings are held alternating Sundays. Contact Rebecca at rebrue (at) earthlink (dot) net.
- BOB welcomes new members – men who believe that life is enriched through relationships based on mutual respect and a shared journey. If you have questions, want further information about the Band of Brothers, or just want to share your thoughts, please contact any one of us: Peter Held, 650-888-8398 <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Mike Mullery, 650-348-5512 <email@example.com>; Mark Meyers, 510-760-1605 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Wise and Wonderful Seniors!
Wise and Wonderful Seniors meets every 2nd Wednesday of the month from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Look in the Pine Tree and/or the calendar for special programs and opportunities to get together for fellowship.