How do you describe a whole congregation? We are different colors, ages, and come from many different backgrounds, faith traditions and life-experiences. Here are a few snapshots:
- We are over 500 members strong, with almost 100 children and youth involved in church school and youth groups.
- We are an Open and Affirming Congregation. That means we seek to practice radical inclusion and extravagant hospitality.
- We are congregational. That means that all major decisions of the church are made by a vote of the membership. After spiritual discussion and prayer, we use thoroughly democratic procedures.
- We are "non-creedal" in that one need not confess to a specific human created expression of faith to join our church. Rather, one must simply express the desire to embrace the guiding principles, follow the teachings of Jesus and seek God.
- We do not consider social justice a by-product of the Christian faith, but integral to a faith journey. Therefore, we actively strive for new ways to further justice and peace.
- We love music of all kinds. Our Music School has helped bring the joy of music into the lives of thousands of children over its twenty-year history
- We take pride in having launched other churches including two other UCC congregations in the area, as well as the local synagogue.
- We have partnered with two other organizations — Muslim Children's Garden School and Little Wonders — to provide a safe and nurturing day care and parent training for thousands of children.
- We are generous and responsible. All ministries of the church are funded by the donations of members and friends. Believing that complete financial transparency ensures our ethical purposes, all transactions are audited by our board, and made available to anyone upon request.
- We have a beautiful building and we love to share it with others. Our historic building is utilized by numerous community organizations such as AA, Alanon, Alateen, Sine Nomine, and Boy Scouts / Girl Scouts.
We celebrate our joys, share our grief, reach out for healing, and comfort each other as a church community.
CCSM Facebook Page
Please join us in Face Book
Our Guiding Principles
- We are Christian
- We are Open-Minded
- We are Spiritual
- We are Evolving
- We are Diverse